Friday, May 2, 2008

Training Log: Day One

A few weeks ago I started toying with the idea of signing up for the Twin Cities Marathon. I had all but decided not to enter when I learned that two friends had registered, so due to peer pressure and the idea of camaraderie and the other ideas (fitness, accomplishment, it's not going to be any easier to attempt such a thing a year or two down the road, etc.) that had me considering the marathon in the first place, I decided to go ahead with it. Buyer's remorse settled in pretty quickly, but 48 hours later I got my first training run in, so things are underway.

Made it 30 minutes without stopping today (with the exception of two brief red lights). Five months to add four hours of endurance. I think my weekly basketball game is wreaking havoc with my ankles. Only one more month of that. If I can make it through that without getting injured, I want to think the ankle joint tightness will ease up.

2 comments:

JC said...

Peer pressure, what a great motivator. TC is a great marathon, but it's been so hot the last two years. I recommend overcast sky and a cool breeze.

Clarence White said...

I look at these training log posts and realize that I am at a point where I many have no more discipline to train for another marathon than I do to read through each post--even though I become compelled by the words and shrink from envy that I am doing neither--the run nor the writing--or the reading for that matter.

Then there is my sister, who was visiting from Chicago--who bested her last marathon time by 15 minutes last week--who tells me to train so that we can run one together--who looks great, much better than I have felt for the past many months. I tell her that my knees are not up to it. I tell her that I don't have the time, too much work, trying to cope with impossible logistics in attempts to gain parenting opportunities, ones that I thought would come closer to our neighborhood and closer to the list of Hungries and closer to those things and places that a parent spends a life preparing.

My first and only marathon wrecked my knees. I hate to disappoint my sister as much as myself. But it won't be the first time I disappoint.